Translate

Monday, October 7, 2013

Wire wrapped Ring & bracelet



I started experimenting with wire jewelry over the last year using all sorts of different gauges, colors and techniques for incorporating some wire pieces into my hand-made jewelry. 

I love the look, but I don't have as much patience with wire wrapping like I do with other things (like knitting!) 

So, my wire-work is far from perfect. It takes serious practice and skill to do a lot of the wire detailing techniques. Some of the blogs I follow have some serious talent with wire, but I don't. I'm clumsy with it and again, impatient. 

However, I enjoy working with wire and the appearance of it in my jewelry, so I just continue working with it, even if it means my pieces will be imperfect.

 Last night, I decided it was high time I finally put this gorgeous single green and blue glass bead I had to use. 

I love this one bead, but had no other like it or anything that really matched. I have stared at it and racked my brain forever trying to come up with a way to use it in jewelry, but I always ended up tossing my ideas because the single little bead is so pretty that adding it to a necklace or bracelet full of other beads felt like it'd take away from this beauty. 

So what better way to display it than on a ring?

I used this newer, easier to manipulate wire that I had on hand and what do ya know?

 Less than 15 minutes later, I had me this lovely little ring! I don't know if you guys (or anyone else on the planet, for that matter) find it very appealing, but I just love it! It's simple and although very imperfect, I really love the outcome. 

So, for those of you like me who get frustrated with wire working, and are impatient but desperately want to work with wire -- this is the perfect project to work with. It's also great for those who have yet to gain skills with wire (like me!) because it's so easy to make it look nice. Plus, it's so fun to experiment with the different wrapping techniques and beads you can add on. 

It's a quick project, too.





 I wasn't kidding when I said it's imperfect. The wire isn't straight or even aroun the ring, but I ended up liking it like that, so I quit trying to make it perfect. It kind of looks to me like a globe. It's really modern, funky and statement-piecy.

There is also a chip in the bead, which blows, but it came that way and I wasn't going to let a little chip prevent me from getting use out of something so pretty.

In fact, I'm so happy with the outcome (and the ease of using the new wire! The wire I'd been using was so much harder to manipulate) that I plan to use my whole section of single beads with nothing to match for wire rings!


For the ring, I basically just followed the instructions to this tutorial on Craftsy by Kimberlie for the band, the part that goes around your finger. 

I then just went with it instead of doing mine exactly as the one shown in that tutorial. Kimberlie's tutorial is really great, though for someone who likes to follow instructions, and a beginner could easily rock the project with her detailed instructions.

I can't tell you what gauge of wire mine is because it came from the inside of scrap wires B had collected (for taking to the scrap place for cash). By the way, this is one fabulous way to get up a collection of wire! 

If you or someone you know saves scrap wires (like wires that come from old appliances that don't work any longer) to exchange for cash, then sometimes you'll have some left that won't bring much money, but can be put to beautiful use with jewelry! I'm actually really grateful for his hobby of stripping wire for extra money because it has saved me from having to buy a lot of jewelry wire. You just need to make sure you clean it if it's dirty.

However, the tutorial I linked to recommends 22 gauge wire, which is easy to work with. I'm pretty sure mine was very close to that gauging.  If you have a gauge close to that, then as long as it's easy to manipulate, you can use it instead.

The only other supplies you'll need is the bead(s) you plan to put on the ring and some pliers. Making wire rings usually calls for having a mandrel (a tool that allows you to wrap the wire around for the correct ring size), but like I said, I'm impatient and I just go with what I have. I simply used my finger as a guide. 

You can also use something that's the same size as your finger for wrapping, too. 

Once I wrapped the wire around my finger twice I strung the bead on, and simply used the tails of both sides of my wire to make the shape around the bead. I just kept wrapping it around, and then tucked the end of the wire down. You can make it look nicer if you are patient enough to work the ends of the wires into the ring well (which you'll learn about in the tutorial I linked to,) but I didn't bother with that.


The Bracelet

As for the bracelet that's also shown in the photos here, I made it as a quick project last night, too. Most of you will already know how to make something this simple, but here's the details just in case...

I had been wanting to use these seed beads, but didn't have a whole bunch to make a thick, chunky, colorful seed necklace, so I made a bracelet. It's very easy and quick, and requires very little supplies or $ if you already have string, seed beads and a clasp of some sort on hand. If you don't have a clasp, you can use stretchy string, which makes the project even easier!

If you're in a hurry, and don't care to make every detail perfect, I'd recommend just working with stretchy string to easily slip the bracelet on. Plus, it won't require any clasps.

 I used a jump ring, 2 crimp beads and a lobster clasp that I just hook onto one strand of beads on the opposite side of the clasp (when it's on my arm.) No, this isn't the most proper way to go, but like I said, I can be lazy about using my good findings when I'm making jewelry that's for me and not to give away or sell.

As you can see, I used a variety of colors and sizes of seed beads. I coordinated two different greens and pinks. On the green strand, as I neared the middle of the bracelet strand, I added 12 of the opposite color (pink,) and did the same for the other just to give them a more modern look.

I use fishing wire for most of my beading projects, including this one. I simply strung each strand (after measuring it to fit my wrist and allowing 2 inches for knots for the ends and clasp).

I repeated that process until I had used all my seed beads (which gave me a nice 4 strands.) Then, I used a crimp bead (to hold them together and secure the ends so the beads don't slip off if your knot falls loose) to hold all strands together at both ends, making one bracelet out of the 4 strands.

And, obviously, I placed a jump ring on one end of the strung-together strands, and for the other end, I just hooked on a lobster clasp for simply, quick clasping! 

To fasten it, all I do is clasp the lobster clasp onto the other side's jump ring, or to make it tighter on my wrist, I'll attach the lobster clasp to one of the strands of beads. Either way works.

Now, tell me all about your own projects! What are you guys working on at the moment? Have any interesting favorites to make? Do you guys love the wire rings, too? 

P.S. I've also taken up knitting the last several months and oh am I in love! I know some of you guys are knitters, too, so feel free to send me tips and advice for newbies! I desperately need knitter-friends! Nobody I know knits (except a couple online friends), so I find myself desperate for crafty conversation. 

Love to hear from you guys!

No comments: