Translate

Friday, April 24, 2015

Sod or no Sod? Revamping the Lawn

Photo by: Kevin Dooley

With our current horrifically busy work schedules, Me and B haven't been getting to spend as much time together, and it has taken a stressful toll on us both. 

Within the last month, I've had a request from one of you beautiful readers asking me to do more vlogs, more specifically, a couple-vlog since I do so much discussing about my love-bird and I. 

I want to let you guys know that this is something we're considering, and hoping to work out some time to actually do. 

However, I can deliver on one thing -- the request for more "personal" topics regarding our everyday lives together, as a couple. I was surprised that so many would be interested in this, but I'm definitely happy to take a shot at that every once in a while.

Today is one of those. 

Me & B got to spend our entire day together today since we had to be at the local health department (and he always attends my visits with wonderful moral support) and unfortunately, we completely changed our schedules for the last 2 days, including our work to make it to the appointment. Only yesterday, I had worked early the night before so I could get to bed earlier and get up earlier, which I did. Only guess what? We didn't make it. They had closed a smidgen earlier than normal.

So we both took yet another day to completely skew our schedule (and my sleep!) to make it down there today. Welp, we finally get there and I go jerking on the door handle of the doctor office only to be greeted with a disappointing jarring of the door... 

It was locked! I went into a fury.

And right beside the door was a brand new plaque displaying the department's brand new time schedules -- something that has been the same ever since I was a baby, at least. No joke.

I was furious! Within the last 9-10 years that I've been going to this place every single 3 months (literally), I have had this sort of thing happen more often than not. We've actually spent 3 days trying to get me seen by the nurse more times than I can count. 

Sometimes there simply is no nurse in. Sometimes they simply are just closed at random, despite their time schedule saying they're supposed to be open.

To put it shortly, it's just always been the biggest, most insane mess when it comes to getting your appointment to actually happen with this place.

So, we turned and left the office, me complaining about how they demand that I call them every once in a while before my appointment just to see if they might have "changed" my fee before I come in. Yet they can't call me when they completely re-do their entire schedule? 

It took a while before I could shake off my anger on this one.

The next time they're open will be next week, so both my spouse and I will have to re-do our entire schedule yet again for the third time just to get one simple thing. He'll miss yet another day of work, and I'll have to miss yet another decent amount of sleep. Ugh!

Anyways, I was able to come back around to a happy, peaceful mood when we decided we'd just spend the rest of the day together -- something we've not had the opportunity to do in so long. 

Being that we've also been trying to make plans to do some house-work and stuff, including the lawn that needs work, we spent some time outdoors discussing plans for the yard and house. 

It was a lovely, sun-shiny day, too. So that really perked my mood. I desperately needed some good ol' sunshine in my life. 

While we debated on many different possibilities with the lawn (it needs some work, and grass), we had a couple of neighbors who stopped in to chat and give their own suggestions.

One of them suggested something called "sod," which I'd never heard of before, but it sounded good to me. 

Since the old driveway spot needs filling in with grass because it's so dead, the neighbor (who's lawn is immaculate and full of perfect, even grass) said we "really need to get some of that sod" like he had.

What on earth? 

But, he kept stressing this "new sod" and saying we need to consider it. He explained to us that it was basically installed grass that actually comes in different "types." There's such a thing as "Bluegrass" and "Fescue," which were the two he highly recommended for our lawn. 

I had no idea so much went into grass! 

But we were intrigued enough that I couldn't get it out of my head -- this "sod" stuff. I finally done a quick Internet search to see what it was all about and check if perhaps it's something we could even be bothered with (you know, affordability, is it worth it, does it require any special maintenance, etc.) and I can't believe I'm saying it, but we might be considering having grass installed onto our lawn. 

Another thing that's been increasingly taking over my thoughts is a garden. I'm so afraid of my capabilities (ahem, or lack thereof?) when it comes to gardening, but oh how badly I've been wanting to plant some nice ingredients to use in the kitchen! I love veggies of all kinds, especially fresh ones, and fruit! Pears, peaches, apples, strawberries... I could almost live off fruit, but it would be wonderful to grow my own little veggie and fruit garden so I could have fresh (and safe) foods straight from my own garden.

Only I'm so inexperienced and lacking in the time department that I am hesitant about diving into a garden. I typically keep aloe vera plants on-hand year round, and spearmint in warm months, and can handle those, but my desperate attempts at growing herbs have failed. 

However, I'm seriously considering trying out a mini garden, perhaps starting off with simple, easy-to-grow, low-maintenance items just to see where it leads. Maybe cucumbers, squash, okra, tomatoes? 

But, first, the lawn must be fixed up. We're undecided on it for now, so I thought I'd ask my wise readers -- what would you suggest as far as grass and "sod?" Have you used it? Is it low-maintenance? 

I'd also like to ask you, my trusty readers for your gardening suggestions as well. What low-maintenance veggies (or fruits) would you suggest for starting out with a mini garden? What are some of your favorites? Do you have any tips/tricks/suggestions as a seasoned gardener that you'd like to share with a newbie? 

I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys may have, or any recommendations you may be comfortable giving out.

You folks never fail me in the answers and advice department, let's hear it, comment away!

No comments: