Translate

Friday, February 8, 2013

An Alternative to Toxic Toothpaste - Edgar Cayce's Tooth Powder


Chewy's Tooth Powder from Cayce Concepts.
For, he that expects nothing shall not be disappointed, but he that expects much - if he lives and uses that in hand day by day - shall be full to running over. -Edgar Cayce


If you still haven't considered replacing your toxic, flouridated toothpaste with an alternative that, say, isn't filled with poison, then I highly encourage you to read up on fluoride. Not only is there evidence linking fluoride to cancer, but research shows that the once-believed claim that fluoride prevents tooth decay is inaccurate.

 If you guys have been keeping up with my updates on dental health, you may know that I've experienced a lot of dental suffering since September, 2011. That's when I made drastic changes to my dental health.

The biggest change of all was cutting out toothpaste. I have not used toothpaste since about early August, 2012. As soon as I learned the cons of fluoride and glycerin (both in toothpastes) I couldn't bring myself to put it in my mouth again. 

Instead, I followed the advice of Dr. Judd and started using soap instantly. Bar soap. 

Needless to say, it was torture.

(note: I used natural soap with no glycerin or other additives.)

Why Avoid Toothpaste That Contains Glycerin and Fluoride (in a nutshell?)

 1. Glycerin, according to Dr. Judd, the author of "Teeth Total", creates a thick coating on your teeth that takes 20-something washes just to remove. This coating is a problem because it means your teeth cannot absorb nutrients and they can't remineralize.

2. The fluoride added to toothpaste and drinking water is a neurotoxin. Studies like this one, which was conducted by the World Health Organization, show that tooth decay is not less common in areas that have highly fluoridated water.  Fluoride does not prevent tooth decay like we've been told, but it can actually destroy your teeth from the inside out, according to a study published in the Journal of the American Dental Association.

So naturally, I wanted to avoid these two ingredients like the plague. And I have.

I've been using soap until the past couple of weeks when I've had the luxury (and believe me, it's a luxury when you've been gagging on soap every morning) to try this Tooth Powder instead. 

What is Chewy's Tooth Powder?
  According to the work of medical clairvoyant Edgar Cayce (also deemed the "father of holistic medicine), we need nothing more than real salt and soda to get a totally clean mouth and keep it healthy. Chewy's Tooth Powder, put together by Cayce Concepts, contains exactly that.

Chewy's is a toothpowder that's used in place of toothpaste. You just sprinkle a bit of powder onto your wet toothbrush, brush well, then rinse with warm water.

The best part about it is that it only contains 3 ingredients, all of which are safe and tooth-friendly.  

Ingredients: real salt, soda, and peppermint.


Dental Benefits of Salt and Soda  
  •  Reduces bacteria
  • Prevents gum disease
  • Removes stains and whiten enamel, according to both Edgar Cayce and Phil Thomas from Iodine Source.com
  • A natural astringent that promotes gum circulation and speeds healing 
  • Salt soothes tissues and can help with gum swelling and inflammation
  • Alkalinizing, which creates an environment that's unfriendly for bacteria to live in.
  • Peppermint, on the other hand,


How do You Use Chewy's Tooth Powder?

Simply sprinkle some of the powder onto your toothbrush, brush as you normally would, then rinse with warm water.  

The lid has a large-ish hole, which means I usually end up with the powder on the sink counter. Perhaps a regular salt lid (with an option for smaller sprinkling holes) would be more appropriate.

The Experience:
While pretty much anything was better than a mouth full of soap at this point, I have to admit that I had my concerns about brushing with salt.

  I expected it to be gritty, so I worried that brushing would feel like raking rough salt grains across my teeth. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the powder is fine and smooth, and it dissolves when wet. Nothing gritty or rough or overly abrasive about it.

There's a faint flavor of peppermint, but mostly, the salt and baking powder flavors take over. This doesn't create a lather and there's nothing foamy or pasty about it. If you're anything like me, you'll appreciate the lack of artificial sweeteners and flavors.

Overall, I'm most fond of the simplicity and effectiveness of this simple tooth powder. I started adding a spritz of peppermint essential oil for more mint power (and breath freshening) while brushing with Chewy's

Update: 1/4/2017
This post was published 4 years ago and I still get emails asking about the tooth powder. It's been 4 years since I first tried it, so this quick update is far over-due.

In short, yes, Chewy's Tooth Powder (or a variation of it, depending on what I have on hand) is still one of the only products I brush with. I've gone back and forth between this and other natural dental cleansers, depending on whatever my current dental needs are. For example, there are days when I simply use peroxide, but the ingredients in Chewy's Tooth Powder are permanant staples in my dental care regimen.

Most of all, the two reasons I've made this a staple is because the salt, which has minerals that our teeth need and can absorb, and because the powder helps control plaque build up. I have to say, after I quit using toothpaste, I notice the icky residue sticking to my teeth a bit more frequently. The mint essential oils alone aren't enough to keep plaque and stuff under control, but alternating between this powder and mint essential oils does a nice job.

Don't forget to subscribe here and over at the Cayce Concepts blog for more valuable health information.  


What's your favorite toothpaste alternative? Let us know in the comments!

No comments: