Translate

Thursday, July 21, 2016

This Simple, but Highly Effective Task Combats Depression


Photo source: Martin Furhmann

 
This Simple, but Highly Effective Task Combats Depression

A study found that just a few minutes a day completing a specific task can be enough to significantly impact your happiness.



The study consisted of four groups of people. Each of the four groups were each given one of the following instructions to follow:


1. Write down 5 things you're grateful today.

2. Write down 5 things that have annoyed you today.

    3. Write down 5 ways you are superior to other people.

    4. Write down 5 random things that happened today.


Throughout the study, the participants’ happiness and overall satisfaction with their lives was measured by researchers. 

What they found 

The group who completed the task of noting things they're grateful for became measurably happier, had more positive emotions, heightened well-being, and felt more satisfied with their lives, compared to the other groups. 

 Source: Counting Blessings Versus Burdens: An Experimental Investigation of Gratitude and Subjective Well-Being in Daily Life, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 2003, Vol. 84, No.2 (Robert A. Emmons and Michael E. McCullough) 

I told you the task was extremely simple! Sometimes it really is the simplest of things that "work" though. 


 
Photo source: Ryan Kemmers

Here's how you can use this simple task in your own life to improve your happiness...


The key is actually feeling gratitude and writing is the best way to conjure up that feeling.

However, if you're like me, you might need some encouragement, so here are a few gratitude-boosting videos for those days when feeling gratitude doesn't come easily.



1. A quick guided meditation video to end your day with feelings of gratitude.

2. A quick guided meditation video to start your day with feelings of gratitude.

You can use "guided meditation" videos like these any time you want to get the gratitude flowing. Although I've memorized some of these, I find that listening to them helps me stay focused on the gratitude affirmations. Otherwise, I'm lucky if my mind hasn't jumped to something else before I've listed 5 things I'm grateful for.

Tip: The more detailed you can be with your gratitude list, the better. For example, instead of just writing "I'm grateful for a roof over my head", try something like "I'm grateful for the comfort that comes with having a place to sleep and eat and bathe and enjoy myself every day."


To take the gratitude challenge one step further: At the end of the day, after making your gratitude list, aim for one thing that would make your day tomorrow wonderful.

This additional step takes things to a new level. I tend to have a more fulfilling day when I've taken the extra step to write down one thing that would make the day amazing. Sometimes it's just being around pleasant people or accomplishing a project, but it makes a difference. I love that doing this tiny thing sometimes causes me to strive towards a goal or make more of an effort to accomplish whatever "thing" I'd written down the night before.

Motivation is always a positive thing, so add this extra step to your gratitude journaling and let me know how it goes!


Stay tuned for the next post in this series: "Depression's Worst Enemy" and don't forget to subscribe for a regular dose of health, happiness, and well-being. 


Share 5 things you're grateful for in the comments section and help encourage the rest of us.


No comments: